YAY! Yea, so I'm here in Antarctica. So yesterday I had to get up for the plane again at 0400am.
Our group met at the Antarctica center and checked in. The security for the military flight was pretty high. Of course it is a military flight so what do you expect. Though I did not not have to take off my shoes to get past the medal detectors. The Kiwi military basically run the show until you are on the runway, then the US military takes over. I had this bomb/drug sniffing dog scare the bejesus out of me because I didn't see him...then I had a cold nose on my hand. He was a wicked cool dog, and if he wasn't on the job I would have taken his photo. But you know I didn't want to distract him from his important duty. Everyone is in for a treat for today I'll upload a ton of photo's. The photo to the left is of course us landed in the C-17 on the ice. Here is a photo of my boarding pass.
As you can see, its pretty official looking. So after we boarded the C-17, we sat down and got the safety briefing from the crew. I don't know how you all feel about this; but when I notice a big orange box attached to the celling of my plane that says "Warning Explosive device" I kind of get distracted. But the safety briefing was enjoyable none-the-less. The oxygen mask is really a hood and we use it if the plane decides to smoke up. The "beverage" service was of course 3 large Gatorade like bubblers filled with ice cold water. The "lunch" was a pre-packed brown bag lunch made by the kiwi's I suspect. It had a ton of New Zealand candy, which looks good on paper but doesn't fill my tummy. The flight was 5 hours long. And the in flight entertainment was the wicked loud engines. There is not a lot of heat on the plane so one had to wear all their cold weather gear. I took a nap and played on my ipod (shout out to my sister who bought it for me...best gift EVA!) Here is a shot of what the other people were doing behind me during the flight.

4 comments:
Cool post, Phil. Did you notice the plane you rode in on is from Seattle? Even has a picture pf Mt. Rainier on the tail and everything.
Yes I did actually. Next time I see that plane I'll ask the flight crew if they are from Seattle..I didn't have a chance to talk to them all that much when I was going to the ice.
Do you guys have tauntauns?
Do you guys have tauntauns?
Post a Comment