
Sundays are a very relaxing day on the ice. Usually mostly everyone has Sunday's off, so its not so different from a College or University campus in terms of lack of people before noon. I got up early to make a good impression and show up an hour and a half before my shift started. The Fire Dept is not even a 5 minute walk from my dorm, so the commute to work should be ideal. The way it works at the Firehouse is that everyone, both shifts, have a morning briefing. We usually talk about what happened the shift before, any issues with the trucks, and general department news. Before this usually morning chores are done by the crew coming off shift, which allows people who show up early to prepare for their shift if they are going to the airfield (more about that later). And after the meeting we have group stretches and start the daily work order of the day. Every day we check our hydrants in that assigned section along with a "house" chore. I'll try to get a photo of the hydrants because its really cool in how they store the hydrants here...because well its freezing all the time.
The shift was pretty easy. There was a lot going on in the beginning because this week we opened up Station II, which is the ARFF (Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting) station. Essentially to my understanding, they do all the plane stand-bys for the C-130's, C-17, and all the other aircraft we have at our two airport/runways. I'm working at that station this week, so I'll have pics and all of the information about Station II later this week hopefully.
But yea, working at the firehouse wasn't too bad. I got all my gear, which fits and is in good condition. I did a quick brief walk through of my MSA pack, because thats the only pack they didn't carry at FPC. Its not too bad. So at Station I, we have 2 engines and 1 ambulance in service. One of the tankers is out of service, for the time being, and we have countless aircraft firefighting equipment. The station is quite nice and cozy.
The station is also where the general population here can check in if they are going for a hike. If someone misses their check in time, we call them on their radio, which they are issued through us. If we don't hear from them we then organize a search party and we find out where they are. Everyone is required to file a plan before they walk off the base and they are issued a map of the "restricted" sites or area's near the base, of which there are many. On the maps they also have all of the "accident" sites, to bring the message home that if you go off the trail or bushwack on purpose, you may not make your flight home...if you get my meaning. Cryptic huh? But to the point, you don't want people running off of marked trails on purpose. And I know what you all are thinking, "What happens if there is a storm?". Well if the weather has a potential or is currently a storm, no one is allowed off of Mcmurdo base.
The downtime at the station is pretty legit, they have a deep fry-er and internet there. As well as television, which has armed forces television. They have some great PSA's on that station let me tell you. I figured out that, thats where the military is saving its money to fund the war. They re-hash all the late 80's and early 90's PSA's, that saves the money from making current PSA's. Its different going to bed and waking up in the light. Everyday seems to blend into the next. The shift went by pretty fast and I like the guys and girls on the dept alot. Should be a good time the next couple of months. Anyway thats it. See you all later.

2 comments:
Forgive my ignorance - what's the light/dark cycle there this time of year?
Cool posts, keep it up!
I'm glad you asked my friend. Well Mr. Huntinton, if I may, The cycle is usually around September the sun goes up and it never comes down until around March. At least that whats everyone says, though around March we do get "normal" night and day cycles. But for now I'm in a constant daylight, which boggles the mind, but I think I've adjusted now. For example it is 8 pm here and I can see just as well as if it was 2pm. Amazing this science is.
Post a Comment