Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm not even supose to be here today!!!


Hey guys. I looked out my window and I saw this (Look RIGHT)

I guess we are building more to McMurdo. I almost stepped on a Tesla coil on my commute to work. For those of you who didn't play video games in the mid 90's, both the photo and the first paragraph are dedicated to Command and Conquer Red Alert/the mid 90's. A very solid game, and that is no joke. Looks alot like the Mcmurdo Base (also shown on the right), doesn't it? I can't take full credit for this reference though. Greggy Smalls, this post is for you son.


So everyone on the fire department is issued an pager, similar to the ones that everyone had in the mid 90's (see the segue, whoa!). So on my night off, I decided to go to Gallaghers. Gallaghers is one of our 3 bar's located next to my dorm. Just as I started a game of pool, my pager went off to and of couse it stated, "respond to the firehouse". Since we are the only Fire Department on the continent, when a big incident happens, they call in the opposite shift to be the relief crew or to respond if it is something good. Well, it turned out to be a small fire located near our airfield, in one of the structures. The other crew knocked down the fire, so we were shortly canceled and released. Unfortunately for my night plans, the bars close early at 10:00 pm. They do this to encourage people to show up to work the next day, crazy concept I know. So I went back to my dorm, only to get another page to respond to the firehouse. Turns out it was a Haz-Mat call ontop of the fire call, I won't get into specifics because to be honest I don't want to mess up the chemical names. But anyway, they were looking for people from the opposite shift to help relieve the crew at scene. I volunteered along with several other of our B shift crew to go to the scene. The call lasted 7 hours, so well into the next morning. And trust me there were many times I wanted to say "I'm not even suppose to be here today!!!" (Clerks reference, and another mid 90's reference for the hat trick of references..thank you)

But to be honest, I don't mind. It was a really interesting call and it was handled extremely well by the leadership and the Fire Dept. And I was early to work, considering I was working the next day at the airfield. All in all it was an interesting call and I learned a ton. The next day at the airfield was pretty nice. I got some great driver training. I got to drive all those apparatus that you got to see earlier. I can't say I have a favorite quite yet. But I'll let you know.


The best part about going to the airfield is the commute, though long you get to see some great stuff. Besides the Ice Runway and of course the active volcano, you also go past by the New Zealand base. Its wicked smaller than McMurdo, but it is an all inclusive unit. They do have a bar there as well as a store, which I'm sure I will visit both while I am here. I mean its not like I got anything else to do.
Here is another shot of Scott base. As you can see, its not bad. I mean the population right now is 16, compared to McMurdo's 1,300 or so. The relationship with the Kiwi's is very good to my understanding. There is also a yearly Rugby game between the both bases. But the Kiwi's kick our butts every year, I hear we are lucky if we can score. But then again, Rugby is their sport. Shout out to Scott Addison, he's the most extreme rugby player at Action! That's no lie. Also word on the street is that we are going to have our game this year entered into the Guinness book of World Records. I'm not sure If I have mentioned that yet here, but I've told a couple of you guys. So I have that to look forward to. And NO I am not going to play in it. If you seriously entertained that idea; Thank you but, I lack the athletic ability and the size to play that game. Shenanigans!
Oh well, so that covers the weekend. I'm back at Station 2, while I write this, finishing up my rotation here. They usually shift us between both stations. Mostly this month I'm working out here at the airfield, which is nice because the training here is great. I feel very confident in all the apparatus here and I like the feel of this area. Its pretty small population and on a Saturday night, its only the firefighters. Everyone else seems to go in town for the bars since everyone has Sunday off. It so dead that the kitchen staff just leave us our breakfast in the fridge and we can make it ourselves. I made waffles! Twas delicious. Anyway, I'm going to get going. Stay Safe y'all and have a great Monday. Mine just ended since I'm in the future, Shizam! I'll let you know how Tuesday goes maybe, if that doesn't mess up the space time continuum. Anyway see y'all later.

No comments: