Saturday, January 23, 2010

Catching up

I've been really really bad about updating this...to catch you all up. I've been busy down here working flights, we have about 100 to go before Feb. 13th or 15th, so I may be distracted for a while. Also the internet now starts at 2am-10am, so it doesn't leave me much time to blog, and keep a regular work schedule. I'll do my best to catch you up. Let's see, there have been an ice carving contest, many people participated this year. It was really hunks of snow, but the snow is so dense and dry down here it might as well be concrete. The Frosty one is taken with our beloved ice cream machine, which has passed on. But, we now have real New Zealand ice cream which is really really good. Maybe my time on the ice has affect my taste buds? But in any case, those two were the best ice/snow sculptures that I have seen
They also finally took down the dome. I was able to go to the last piece ceremony, and that was fun. The dome is going to be reconstructed at the "Sea Bees" base in California, since they created it. Sir David Attenborough came down here, as well as many other VIPS from the NSF and the Smithsonian and of course USAF. Sir David came with his BBC film crew, they are busy filming "Frozen Planet" which should be amazing. Sir David was only here for two days, and he was constantly filming. It was really cool to meet him. Besides that, many many flights are going here. I'd write more what is going on down here, but I'll tell a couple of you in person a pretty cool story. Besides that I'm slowly winding down my season, I'm looking forward to New Zealand a great deal. I should be off ice Feb 10th, but maybe sooner...who knows. Take care everyone, I have to go get ready to go into work. Stay Safe.

1 comment:

Matt Shields said...

what's your cool story? did you see a polar bear?

sounds like you're still having an awesome time!