Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy New Year

Hey guys...I've been wicked busy, so that is why I haven't posted in a while. Let's see to catch you all up...we have had currently 105 flight operations down here to pole, and with 40 something days left we need to have 120 more flights, before they close the station for the winter. Yea, it is going to get busy for us down here. Our two firefighters left for their rotation to McMurdo, so we have two new firefighters down with us. Welcome Jeremy and Scott, see you later Ms. Cassidy and Corey (my brother from another mother). {To the left is a picture of Jeremy and Corey}

It is nice to get the new blood, and it certainly signals that the season is almost over. This is something that I haven't decided how I feel about quite yet. Being that I've been on the ice since August, its kind of weird to think that I'm almost done. In any case, I'll be looking forward to feeling moisture and tasting fresh fruit and such when I get off of here.

The BBC is down here right now filming a version of Planet Earth that is exclusively about the Antarctica and Arctic zones of this planet. Its cool to chat it up with them. I was able to see some of the footage they shot, you all will be in for a treat. They also shot our annual Pole moving ceremony. Every year the Geographic pole moves 30 feet, so they replace the top of the pole and move it every year. When I have time, I'll track down more photos of that ceremony. I was able to participate in that, so that was wicked fun.

New Years was fun down here. The Fire Dept took over a lounge on the actual New Years eve, and had a mini party/celebration. The town celebration was this past weekend and showcased several bands. It was wicked fun. The dome deconstruction is going very well...but the security for it has been beefed up. The National Science Foundation is going to have it re-set up in California for the Sea-Beas (the guys who built it way back when), and so they are being really serious about all the plates and bolts not walking away. We'll see how that works out, many people want a piece of that dome because of its historical value.

Oh and allow me to say hi to all the new followers of this blog. I took a photo at the South Pole for my High School (Beaver Country Day School) at both the geographic and ceremonial South Pole. I am currently working here (as you can gather) as a Firefighter/EMT. I am the furthest Southern Alumni of the school, but not the only one from Antarctica. Eric Cooper, worked at Palmer this last year and McMurdo as well. I haven't run into him, but its funny that Beaver has two Alumni on this Continent. I was the first one to get to Pole though, so I have that going for me. Who knows maybe I'll make it to Palmer sometime, so that I can say I've been to all 3 of the US facilities on this continent...

Anyway take care everyone. I'll try to post more often, but we'll see how it goes with all this work going on. Take care and I hope you all had a great New Year.

2 comments:

Matt Shields said...

dome de-construction is interesting. more pics please!

nice post

George McCully said...

Phil that is such a cool picture of the Pole marker. Is it just a marker or is it a scientific instrument (so that all those doodads on it are not simply ornamental but functional) that itself locates the actual point of the Pole? I presume that the Pole itself does not move 30 ft. annually, but the ice cover does (you said this in an earlier blog).

Keep up the great work—how many subscribers do you have now, and from where?

love, Dad.