Friday, December 4, 2009

Day 100

So today is my 100th day on the ICE. Thus, far time seems to be flying by. I really enjoy working down here at the pole. I won't make a top 100 random thoughts list, because I plan on doing that when I leave (for day 180!). But lets see, I could talk about some random South Pole fun facts in the meantime. Did you guys know about the shower situation down here? Some of you might, but in case you don't....water conservation is key down here. Yes we are surrounded by ICE/Snow...but it takes a ton of energy to melt down everything to water. So, when working at pole one is only allowed Two 2 minute showers a week. Some employees get 3 a week, but their jobs are mechanics and such. My job only allows me to use 2 showers a week. That is sometimes the negative drawback. Considering I love at least 20 minutes showers usually.

What else is new? We'll I haven't spoken on this yet, but remember last year when I didn't get my full uniform? Same old, Same old. There was yet another snafu and I have yet to receive my full uniform. I have 3 times more t shirts though this year (Not really hard to do, I had 1 last year I had to return for the winter crews...now I have 3, my assigned amount). It is slightly annoying to have this going on again. But, this is a regular issue with this department. Not to be throwing stones or anything.

Tourist season has also started at the pole as well. Yesterday we had our first group. They flew in with a Twin Otter airplane and are camping outside our station. Since they are not part of the NSF/USAP program, they aren't allowed full access to our facility. They are given 1 tour and can buy stuff at the store (booze/food not allowed...thats for USAP people only). Then they sit out and huff and puff around the pole camping in tents. They camp outside the Galley side of the station, so I can enjoy my breakfast watching them take photos of the pole and the vast landscape of nothingness. When I get some decent photos I'll upload them of the tourists. They will be coming for the entire months of December.

We'll that should update you all. Take care, and much love. 80 days to go...not that I'm counting, I really do like it down here.

No comments: