Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas and the Race Around the World...

Christmas down in Antarctica is always interesting. For one there are no children down here, so most of the festivities are slightly different from the norm that we are used to in the United States. At Pole, we have a traditional Christmas dinner of Lobster tails, and Beef Wellington. It was nice to have a good group meal with all the other firefighters and also townspeople. After that, I got a sweet gift from one of Danielle and Bethany (one our firefighters and one of the cooks, respectively). It was a really sick sleeping hat, with mooses on it, designed to look like the hats a beta movie we watched this past week "Three Angels". It was an old Christmas movie with Humphrey Bogart. They made all of the guys (Howie, Corey, Myself and Ryan) on the Fire Dept down here hats, because we are basically angels...or thats the the thought I'm going with.

Then we had the after party up in the galley. It was pretty fun. As per Antarctic Tradition, there was also some Christmas caroling in Comms down here. Every year they sing Christmas Carols to all the field camps and also to McMurdo. I hear it was pretty good this year.




Today (Boxing day) I ran in "The Race around the World". It is a 2.4 mile race around the Pole and the Station. I did it in 26 minutes, which isn't too bad. This is also when it was -30 outside and we were at 10,500 ft as well. It was challenging and I was wicked tired after the race. I took a 2 hour safety nap, and considering I didn't go to bed early the night before...it worked out well. I will upload photos from that race, as soon as I can steal them from the I-Drive down here. I didn't bring my camera's battery, rookie mistake, I know. Anyway have a great rest of your Christmas or Holiday season and take care.

No comments: