
Since the new firefighters have come down here...and the ARFF rig is in service, I've been able to explore more of the station now. I was able to take a walking tour of the tunnels under the station here. Mostly the tunnels run the waste water out of the station to the waste treatment area. The tunnels have a couple science experiments going on in them as well. There is the infamous "Gravity Station", where the gravity of the earth is measured by some equipment. I've been told it is too see if the earths orbit is going to a different type of orbit. The scientist who runs these experiments isn't down on the ice yet, but when he is I'll see if I can get to the bottom of this.

The tour was led by our own Capt. Howie. Since the tunnels are long and such, it is required that you check out with South Pole Comms. We gave them our estimate time of return as well as how many people are in the party. There are emergency escape hatches along the route. One of the more interesting aspects of the tour is the stalactites made of snow and water vapor on the ceiling of the tunnel. This is caused by the heat of the waste traveling through the pipes.

Another cool aspect of the tunnels are the "memorials" that are set up. Many people carve out the walls of the tunnels and make monuments/memorials. These monuments are not to be touched, and are sacred. I was able to take a bunch of photos of them. Some have memories tied to them, like this fire one that was made by one of the Kiwi Firefighters who worked down here with our Department.

Some are made out of humor, like this continent one... Also for all of you guys that haven't been here...that is the general saying about living down here. I hope you enjoy the photos around the station down here. We'll that is all the time I have for now; Take care everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment