Saturday, November 28, 2009

Thanksgiving AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD

First, Happy Belated Thanksgiving everyone. As per tradition, Thanksgiving is celebrated on Saturday down here on the Ice. This is so that everyone can enjoy the next day off (Sunday). Friday we started the celebrating by having surf and turf. The cooks down here want us to have a surf and turf meal once a month, and who am I to stop them? We had steak and King Crab Legs, very delicious. I took this photo to let you all know that sometimes, it isn't a harsh continent.

So for our "Thanksgiving"; I decided to celebrate it just like the pilgrims did, by Frolfing. If you don't know what I mean by "Frolfing" then picture this. Take a golf course, now add fresbee disks instead of golf balls, and baskets instead of holes. There is a course down here at the Pole as well as one at McMurdo. Last I heard McMurdo's was out of service. So my buddy Corey and I grabbed the bag of fresbees and a couple beers and headed out side to play the course. There are three types of fresbees, all are different sizes from big to small. The smaller one of course is the "putter" and the larger one is the "Driver", I forget what the middle one is called...I think it was called the "approach". Anyway, it was only -45 outside, and very little wind, so we did about 15 holes, the other 4 are being re-constructed. It was fairly fun, we got to climb over millvans and snow berms. After about and hour and a half we came in.

We started thanksgiving with live music in the hallway followed with some shrimp cocktail and baked bree. After that we were brought into the galley and served wine. We had deep fried turkey, smoked turkey, mash potatoes, cranberry sauce, biscuits, and gravy. I made an epic mistake though, I had some pecan pie for desert. It wasn't as good as my moms, yea I said it. I ate it anyway, the chocolate moose pie though was wicked good. After that I had a chill night, I watched a couple movies. Thanksgiving was pretty awesome down here. Anyway, I hope you all are having a great weekend. Talk to you later!

1 comment:

Matt Shields said...

sweet! the music in hall and firelogs on the flatscreen are nice touches.