Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Big store sale! And other random news

The store down here had a final liquidation sale for most of its t shirts. It was pretty neat, they had 8 tri-walls of clothes and other stuff on sale. For those of you who aren't down with the Antarctic Lingo a tri-wall is a heavy duty cardboard box, three thick walls hence the name. Anyway, most of the station came out and helped move merchandise and help set up for the sale. I was able to grab a sweatshirt that I've had my eye on since last season that wasn't in the store when I got down here. Most of the merchandise were sweatshirts and T shirts that have been sold in the last 10 years. It wasn't a bad way to spend my hard earned cash, or spend my Sunday afternoon.

Things down here are pretty smooth. Our group is really working well, and we have a pretty good system worked out. We have done a couple trainings with the fire brigade down here. Since the full time firefighters, aka the McMurdo 6, are here for the flights...we are only back up to the station. We have helped train the volunteer brigade so that they can manage and effective work down here in case there is a fire emergency. Yesterday we taught them how to use the air compressor, and it went fairly well. Most of the people on the brigade either only have South Pole experience or not any structural experience. There are a couple who are wildland firefighter, which while it does deal with fire, structure firefighting is a different breed. Mostly because of the equipment that structure uses, wildland doesn't use air packs for example. But I digress.

Hopefully this should work...here is a quick video clip I took the other day. It was -56, so my camera took a nap while filming. But I hope you guys enjoy. Anyway that is all that is really going on down here. Take care.

No comments: