So, Here I am once again, writing from McMurdo. I should be at South Pole...but thanks to weather, I'm still stuck here. These things happen. So, what else is new? Well the Diamox is still being annoying. Often I'll wake up in the middle of the night with pins and needles on my legs and arms. But, it is one of the known side effects of diamox...and I'd prefer to have these annoying side effects than Elevation Sickness. The weather at the pole has been on and off, and same with McMurdo. We had a really interesting moisture move in the around the station. How do I know it was moisture? When the storm came through we had these snow crystals gather on everything outside. It was really cool. Here is a photo that has been circulating around Station. I forget the name of this type of storm and/or condition...so if you know, post it up and I'll reward you somehow. No Penguins...not yetWhat else to say...
So the new guys are on shift working with the firehouse crews. It has been an interesting transition to say the least. Everyone is still trying to prove who is the better firefighter, an annoying but necessary ritual that seems to spring up all the time here. Since I'm going to pole, I've been removed from this whole situation, which gives me an interesting perspective. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what you did back home...because Antarctica isn't like anywhere else in the World. I think it is because, everyone is trying to feel each other out. It is funny how even talking to people who have been with the program for a while, that some things never change. Another thing that hasn't changed is that the new guys don't have proper uniforms. So there was another organized donation drive of sorts with our older group giving up our "extra" uniforms to the newer guys. Some things never change.

No comments:
Post a Comment