Friday, October 23, 2009

Last Sunset...and more diamox

So I'm not at the South Pole yet. The weather here and also there has been pretty rough the past couple of days. I attribute this to the season change from Wicked Cold to Cold (Winter to "Summer"). The Polar winds have been pretty harsh, we had a Condition 2 the other day in town and everywhere else had a Condition 1 situation. The visibility was really poor and fast winds were very interesting. I took many photo's but I packed my photo cord and I don't know where it is. I had to bag drag the other day and I may have packed my camera cord by accident. Not to worry I'll post photos wicked soon....and I usually plan things out, so there should be a spare cord either at pole waiting for me, or put in an unsuspecting spot in my backpack. I have been delayed so many times, now that I am pretty much used to it. I wake up, turn on the travel channel and check the flight status, then I usually begin my day. I'm on MKPB004...but MKPB002 has yet to leave McMurdo, so I have a couple flights between me and the bottom of the earth. I am luckily not working anymore at the Firehouse, since technically all my gear is packed to fly down with me. I am still on stand-by status as far as if a serious incident happens down here. I do often still make it to the firehouse every day. Usually to pick up something or to say hi to some people. Besides that, life has been pretty laid back. I went to Scott Base last night and made my 1 purchase of the year there...a patch. Pretty exciting, I know. Besides that, I'm getting another dose of Diamox today. Diamox has been treating me well. It is getting my body used to being at altitude. Diamox is an interesting drug. First of all, it randomly give me pins and needles in my hand and feet...then it also increases my heart rate when I'm at rest. It is basically increasing my red blood cell count.

In other news, I saw the "last sunset" for the Summer Season last night. It was pretty uneventful, compared to the sunsets I saw in Winfly. But it was cool to see the "Challenger" fly around during it. The "Challenger" is an FAA aircraft that is testing all the nav-aids and shooting radar down into the ice to see how thick the ice is. From here on out it will be nothing but sun down here, no darkness or even hint of darkness. I am looking forward to that, which is weird but I guess it is something one can get addicted to. Anyway, I should pick up my diamox and make a couple phone calls before I hit the gym. Talk to all later, take care everyone!

No comments: