Friday, October 30, 2009

Random Photos


Here are a couple random photos from down here. First is the Trans Antarctic Mountains...basically the only mountains I will see for a while. The Pole is Flat and White. I'll send pictures of it if you don't believe me. But this post is merely for these photos I wanted to include in the last post but couldn't. Enjoy



This is me outside. It is -85 f. As you can see I don't have any skin really exposed. Frostnip/frostbite is very easy to get. Especially when you have to work outside like many of us do.








This is the "old" Pole Station. It used to house about 30 men, when it was first built. It was intended for limited science and support. There were buildings on the inside as well. At one point it housed around 200 people. Which is quite a lot. It was never heated, but the buildings inside were. It has been decommissioned and is being used for food storage. It is being slowly crushed by the shifting ice. It will be deconstructed this season, rumor has it. The ice moves about 30 ft per year, and the snow drifts are very extreme as well. It is amazing that this structure has survived this long down here. I've been inside it several times, very cool. I shot a small movie clip on the inside. When I have time I'll upload it.

No comments: