
So I finally got a "date" for when I am heading due due South. That is right, due due South. Not to be confused with my current location of due South. If the weather behaves itself, and everything else comes together...I will be at the South Pole in 9 days roughly. I will be flying down on a really cool plane. I will be flying down on a Basler BT-67. For those of you who are aviation-ally challenged here is the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basler_BT-67.
For the quick cliff notes...the Basler is a retrofitted DC-3, a very famous WWII plane. As per wikipedia, "The Douglas DC-3 is an American fixed-wing, propeller-driven aircraft whose speed and range revolutionized air transport in the 1930s and 1940s. Because of its lasting impact on the airline industry and World War II it is generally regarded as one of the most significant transport aircraft ever made..." Historically that is a very cool plane. The company that works down here has a couple of the Baslers, and flys missions all over Antarctica. I have heard rumors on how the flight is, but I won't post them until I experience for myself.
So, what does this mean for me. We'll for starters a Basler is much smaller than a LC-130. So my luggage will have to be minimized in weight. I have been told to pack what I can live on for a month down at the pole, because the rest of our luggage isn't going to be at pole until estimated Nov. 4th. So for the next couple of days I will be packing and seeing what I can bring down and what I will be mailing to myself or having held in cargo until it makes it down. Should be an interesting experience. Besides that, nothing major is happening. I'll talk to you all later. Take care.

No comments:
Post a Comment