Saturday, August 8, 2009

Seattle n' Stuff

Hello all, and welcome to the pre-Antarctica portion of my blog. I am going to Seattle for my brothers wedding, and thus I left the East Coast. I flew from Boston to Las Vegas and then to Seattle. I will be heading to Denver for training with the rest of the Fire Department after this mini adventure on 8/11. I will be spending an extra day in Seattle, rather than fly home to be in Boston for a brief moment and fly to Denver. This is through no fault of my own but rather RPSC. Yes, I did just throw them under the bus. I was informed originally that I would be leaving on the 10th for training. But like many things with Raytheon, a surprise came up and I'll be leaving on the 11th. I shouldn't have really been surprised, many of you might remember my almost endless "I'm leaving, I swear" for a period of maybe 2-3 weeks last year. My flights last year kept being pushed back and all that jazz, which made for some good "going away" parties almost every week. Thanks for all the beer and gifts last year my brothers! (Shout out to: Brandon, Scott, Aaron, Bill, Lee, Alex Davis...and the rest of the Beaver crew)

I was fairly impressed with my packing skills this time around. I was able to fit mostly everything in my new backpack and everything that I could not fit in that pack, I placed in my "Genco" loaned duffle bag. Shout out to Brandon Genco, he likes the ocean. I am more used to traveling by myself this time around, and I am finding it slightly more enjoyable. I was able to ship myself several things before I left, so in a couple weeks I should have a surprise package down there. This of course is assuming the mail makes the last winfly flight. At the very least, I packed for 2-3 months, incase my mail gets delayed. You know the whole "Be prepared" thing is very stuck in my mind. You can thank my super awesome Eagle Scout training for that.

I am excited to meet the new crew that I will be working with next week, but I will miss my old crew. My old Captain and Lt. will not be coming down this season, which sucks, because I really enjoyed working with those guys. Shout out to Shields and Bevans. I'm happy that I will actually do my ARFF training at an Fire Department, here in the states. Last year, my ARFF training took place on the ice, and it really was brief. Like many of you know, most of firefighter training can be summed up in the simple phrase or rule, "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff". As long as you follow that, you should be all set. To be fair, I'll also share with you the key EMT rules as well. "Get them breathing, and stop that bleeding." and "Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any variation in that, is bad."

I hope you all found that entertaining. You can ask Dan Bedford or Tower, I have tons of those phrases and sayings for advice. So anyway, I'm going to do this wedding thing. So sit back and hang tight, next week is training and then this blog should be off and away.

No comments: