Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Day of Training

So today was the first day of training for our Winfly group. I would compare it to like the first day of school, you're second year. And well it is just that for me. My second year to the ice...yet first day with my new group. We have a decent amount of returnees, and old friends that I worked with last year. It was cool to meet a couple people who I heard of, and had already left the ice before I went down last year. Its cool to be a part of a group that has seen and understands what we will be doing down there. There are many FNGs in the group as well. FNGs (pronounced Fin Gees), is a term used to describe the new people going to the ice. These are the people who are really excited to go down fro their first time. Many Returnees to the ice, often use this when they want to describe the group of new people, and it can be in either a negative or positive light. It is usually just a term to group all the new people as a whole. Thus far, I do enjoy the crew that we have.

Raytheon is putting all of us up at the Red Lion Hotel in Colorado, which is neat. I defiantly enjoy my room. I have two queen size beds to choose from. I should have brought a roommate. Oh well. Breakfast isn't too bad here at the hotel. After breakfast, we boarded our shuttle and left to head to DIA (Denver International Airport). Our classes will be at the DIA airport training ground. The training will be around 60 hours of ARFF (Airport Rescue Firefighting), and also a bunch of Raytheon stuff as well. The DIA Airport is run by Denver Fire...unlike Boston where Massport controls Logan. The Denver firefighters at the Airport aren't paid more than the structure Denver Fire guys in the city. Which is an interesting concept.

Today was an easy day. Mostly it was just paperwork, orientation and some quick skill evaluations. I will be wearing proximity fire gear, the silver ones! They are pretty cool, but HOT as all HELL. Literally I felt like a baked potato today, it was 90 degrees. I'm really tired, so this is a quick entry. I'm alive and in Denver. I'll write more tomorrow, I promise. Its a school night so I have to go to bed. See y'all later.

No comments: