Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm Thinking Arby's


So, I'm on the road. Reporting from Littleton, Co. So I left this morning from Boston to Texas, then I flew from Texas to Denver. Pretty much everything went without incident, I even got to board early. Which rocks. But there were some downsides to my flying adventure.
Let me tell you, American Airlines is out of control. Did you know they started charging money for a snack pack? $4, and to be honest it didn't even look that good. I drank the free OJ of course but better luck next time corporate America!
Another annoying thing was the plane, the S80. Those of you who fly alot, or maybe even fly planes...may know of this aircraft, it appears to be a referb of a later model. For those of you who haven't flown on one of these great metal birds of flight...don't! My main issue with the plane the lack of entertainment. I'm not picky but there was NOTHING on the plane. Not even 1990's radio built into the armrest. I had my in flight magazine which someone decided to not only rip out the answers to the crossword, but also all the maps of the airports. So I sat there and slept/listened to my ipod and read one of my many magazines. At least I had window, the ladies at American Airlines asked me if I wanted to move, but its a window seat come on! Though perhaps I should have moved, the man who sat to the right of me was quite large. Like possible bariatric stretcher candidate (read over 350 pounds). But I didn't really care about that, I mean I felt sorry for the guy, he was more bored and uncomfortable than me.
After that adventure to Texas, I was surprised to learn that my next flight was in 20 minutes, so lunch had to wait and I ran to the other gate...only to hear that I was flying on another S80 plane. But this time I got exit seats, which were great and let me stretch out. The flight was only 2 hours from Texas to Denver so really it was no big deal. More of the ipod and I read a very interesting article about the construction and operation of the "birds nest" stadium in my NFPA magazine. China has interesting building codes, but no one felt that they could really do justice to the Olympic games and the magnitude of the people in both stadiums. So this other company had to not only invent codes, but prove with data and why the codes were better than China's. Very fascinating read, it was from the April issue of NFPA magazine. So I arrived in Denver with no incident. I however made the biggest rookie mistake and forgot to print out one of the many emails that Raytheon has been sending me regarding my travel. Apparently they had a shuttle to the hotel, but they didn't have the name of the hotel on the side of the van, it was done by some third party company. So I have no idea if I actually saw the van or not. I took a taxi to the hotel and had a great driver.
The driver actually spent a year in Roxbury after immigrating to this country from Ethiopia. He was in Boston during the early 90's so he didn't get to enjoy the sports city that we are today. We chatted about Boston Sports, Colorado and small talk. To be honest, it was a great ride and I don't mind that I paid for it. Of course I'm going to ask about the expenses on this trip tomorrow at orientation, but the guy was hard working and wicked cool.
So here I am in my hotel suite. I would take a photo of it, but its really not that cool. But do you know what is? Arby's. There is one about .4 miles (shout out to google maps!) from my hotel, so I walked over. I mean all these years watching tv in New England, I had to go to an Arby's. So I went. Let me show you what $5.45 cents bought me:

Yes! All of that. Don't have the Arby's Sauce (Left Sauce), it should be called "WEAK SAUCE", its a poor excuse of bbq sauce. The whole deal was good though, can't beat that price. So After eating my Arby's meal, I took a walk around this area. Which is really so confused on what it is. Picture a strip mall, next to a housing development. That's where I am right now. So now you've been caught up on what I did today. Tomorrow is orientation, so I have that going for me which is nice. Anywho enjoy this wicked long post, I'm going to lie down and let this Arby's chill in my tummy.

3 comments:

Clare said...

You Mom ate Arby's lots in her youth. I am so sorry I have deprived you of this great treat by raising you in New England.

Miss you. xox APM a.k.a. Mom

kaypoots said...

I like the "Arby's" label. There's so many here in Seattle, maybe I'll check it out some day. :-)

Hope you're having fun in other parts of the world! Take care of yourself!

Newbury Huntington III said...

All I can think of is your famous "heart attack meal" you used to order on the way home from scout camp. We would eat our BK as we searched for edifying rap music to show your dad. I think he owes us both 50 bucks.