Sunday, September 20, 2009

Southern Lights and Southern Cross

So I am at work and I felt that I need to update you all on what has been going on in my life. I've been in Dispatch training all day down here. It is nice to get trained in it and helps me a better asset for the fire department down here that is for sure. Rumor has it that one of our dispatchers will be coming down later than originally anticipated, so there is a chance that the firefighters will have to do dispatch shifts as well.

I took my Driver Operator Written test, and passed it. In order to drive the structure engines (think traditional fire engines) one has to complete a written and driving test. I drove the ARFF trucks and the ambulances last year, so this is I suppose the next step. I have never had any pumping or driving experiences working in Rindge or up at Franklin Pierce, so this is a nice new skill I'll pick up down here. I did have a problem with learning the hydraulics portion of the engines down here. The formulas for learning how much psi you should have and such were confusing at first, but I sat down and hit the books hard and it paid off. I don't think I was ever this serious about school work in recent years. Sorry Mom and Dad. I made a deal with one of the Lt's down here that if I didn't get a 80% on a take home homework assignment that I would ground myself and not go out to the bar that night. I believe it was a Saturday night, so there isn't much to do down here at McMurdo, which is why most people go to the bar to hang out. Anyway, I worked hard and I was able to pass my test.

I was able to see the southern cross the other night. That was really cool. I don't have any photos of it, sorry. I also saw the southern lights last night too. I guess over the last couple of days the
Aurora Australis aka Southern Lights have been really active. I went for a walk last night and looked at the southern lights for a while. It was a little cold, -30 or so. But, it was cool. My camera wasn't able to grab the photos as well as I liked...so I got this photo from one of the other people down here. Anyway, the stars and southern lights have been really cool. Its going to be too bad to get rid of them and see total sunlight. But, at the same time I'm looking forward to being able to walk around in the sun. McMurdo is really different when it is dark. Anyway, take care all. I'll be posting later this week I'm sure.

For more info on the Southern Lights go to.... http://www.antarcticconnection.com/antarctic/weather/aurora.shtml

No comments: