
So this week the Winfly season ends and Summer season starts right up. I'll take time this post to reflect on this whole new season to me. The reason why I chose to come down Winfly was quite simple; I wanted to experience Antarctica with darkness and the solitude of it.
For the past 40 days I've been enjoying Antarctica and its change of seasons. It is really neat to watch it go from Winter to Summer. The amount of snow this year I hear is almost a record. We certainly had one of the coldest Septembers on date. The dryness of the winter is still in the air. It hurts to breathe sometimes because the air just sucks up the moisture. My knuckles are cracked and bleeding constantly, which sucks, but it is part of the territory. I am really happy that I was able to see some Southern Lights and the southern cross.

The stars have been pretty good. They twinkle with such power, its hard to describe. The satellites, though rare, are cool too. This week, and for the rest of the year I don't think I'll see any more of these things. We are gaining roughly +40 minutes of daylight everyday and have been since the last week or so. I have been approached by many people asking me to winter, but I think winfly is as close to winter as I want to do, for now. I can't stay the winter this year because my fire exam expires in MA and my new test should be administered this spring. The crew this winter is going to be epic, lots of great people, I am sad that I am missing it. But, I also may have a something really cool lined up for when I get back home. And of course I miss my friends back home and they would want me to be back sooner rather than later. I really suggest coming down winfly to everyone. Coming down here at this time, if you are new, helps you get to know the station in a smaller setting. Plus, you also look like a big shot when the summer people come in.

The good news is that I'm over my sickness. I still have a cough and a sore throat, but I feel much better. I felt the worst I've felt in years the other day, and I don't usually complain about being sick. If you don't believe me ask my mom. But I've been lucky and thanks to the 3 days off I feel like that I've kicked most of it. I go back to work tomorrow. First flight into the continent for the summer season is on Tuesday. T minus 5 days until the rest, 20 firefighters, of our department show up. And they will have to do their whole training academy. I'm really glad I came down winfly. The friends I've made thus far have been great. Miss you all back home, stay tuned...this blog is just getting started! Take care everyone!!!
(I'm pulling a Shields: The top photo is a picture of me driving Engine 2 when it was -60 outside, and we were attempting to pumping water. Second photo is snow up to the window on the 1st floor. 3rd photo is ambo II, chillin' in a condition 2.)
No comments:
Post a Comment