
Hey y'all. I know I left you all on the edge of your seats with my last post. So to catch you all up...I just got a side job down here. Why? We'll first, money is always nice to have. Second, its good to do something outside the FD down here. Third, I think its something really cool...and fourth, Why not. So as a firefighter, I have a decent amount of free time based on my 24 on, 24 off schedule. This is really cool because it give you a lot of freedom. Most of the time, you can get called into work. Especially if there is a big incident, because the off duty crew is the mutual aid down here. But there is definitely downtime. So, I applied for two jobs to work down here when I'm off shift...and I got both of them. Neat, right? Luckily I only need to work 1 shift a month for them, so if I want my time off I can still have it. I am going to be working as a bartender, and that was the training I did the other night. So now you are all caught up, yay! I'll be working at the coffee house bar, which is the most laid back bar down here. I'll have plenty of photos of it don't worry. If you want to waste time, there should be a couple floating around this blog.

My first shift is next week...so wish me luck. Being a bartender down here is a very sought after position. There were many that applied. I think my humorous application is what really set me apart from everyone...that and I knew the guy hiring the bartenders because his wife was a dispatcher last year.
Lesson of the day: Treat all dispatchers well (shout out to Jeff, Stacey, Mike Powers and Kevlar!) To quickly go back to my humorous joke, I made reference on my application that I was an Eagle Scout. Everyone on the department laughed when I told them I was putting that in, but who knows that may have set my application on the top of the list. My second job, which I train for this week is working at gear issue. Gear issue is the best place, and only, to rent stuff down here. They have x-country skis, wigs, guitars, games...the list goes on. Working at these places will help me obviously make a little bit more money (not much, just something to buy beer with) and it will let me meet more people. Being involved in those two area's will be cool and I am looking forward to it.

So we wrapped up training the other day, tomorrow is when we all officially take over town operations for the rest of the season . I enjoyed this mini academy, it really helped the new people get a better grasp on how things work down here. I was defiantly just thrown into it when I came down last year, so it was good to be officially trained. I was able to go on my first hike the other day as well. I bunch of us decided that 4 degrees with no wind was a good time to hike. So we climbed the local area hike, Observation hill. Observation hill is 75o ft high, and a 1.5 mile hike. It isn't that bad, and can be a lot of fun. I climbed it last year around November 3rd or so, so this view had more snow than what I remembered. A bunch of us ran up and hung out on the top. I took a photo of me comically on my cell phone, the active volcano in the background and a swisher sweet cigar.

That cigar thing is for my old Capt. Shields, sorry you aren't here man...but this cigars for you...(more to come brother). I took a bunch of photos with the sunset. Anyway I think that catches you all up. Tomorrow is work, so maybe I'll post then too. If not, have a great Tuesday and How about them Patriots, eh? Yea, I saw the game...
No comments:
Post a Comment