Sunday, January 25, 2009

McMurdo Film Festival


So one of the many interesting recreational activities that are infamous down here is the Film Festival. They host several during the year, the one I entered was the "Summer" Film Festival. It sort of is the end of the summer film festival, that people look forward to. The film festival is a very big deal for the community as a whole. It breaks up monotony of life down here. The galley usually hosts the film festival and many people come to view the films. I would say that there were about 500+ people or so gathered today. So it wasn't a bad showing. They showed roughly 8 or so films from McMurdo and 6 from South Pole. The films are all saved and put on DVDs so one can rent them and view them whenever they want. I believe that I participated in the 6th annual summer film festival.

The rules of the Festival were that the film had to be in either Quicktime or Windows Media format and had to be less than 5 minutes long. I figured I might as well use my
degree and make a short film one day. But, the truth of the matter is that I never really intended to enter this short in the film festival at all. I made this short when I was bored at one of our stations. This short is a homage to the Captain of my shift, Capt. Shields. He is a wicked cool Captain, one of the best ones I've had. (Shout out to Capt. Brohm and Capt. Bedford, you guys rock too.) He got a big kick out of it and told me that I should submit it to the film festival. I figured why not, and finally used my degree for something. I hope you all enjoy it. No, this isn't my music...and if you can't recognize it, then for shame to you.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it. I'm not sure if there are awards with the festival. I was on duty so I only stopped in for a little bit. Anyway have a Happy Sunday and I'll talk to you all later.

NOTE: I'm going to try to upload the film...right now the network isnt allowing me to.

So here is the "Rough" Cut...I had it on facebook. The final cut just has a different intro picture, but this is basically the short. Maybe the Network will let me upload the final clip later this week...so this is just to keep you all entertained until then.

No comments: