Wednesday, December 10, 2008

South African Air Force?


So I am sad to say that the C-17's are leaving. Thursday, tomorrow down here, is the last C-17 day. So I am not sure what kind of impact that will have on our mail system. The C-130's can carry mail, but not nearly as much as the C-17's. It will be sad to see the C-17's leave, but that will slow things down here for us. Which would be fine, because as much as it is being called into work I would like a couple days off.

But with the absence of the C-17's, we welcome in SAFAIR. SAFAIR, is the South African Air Force. They fly C-130's that are stretched out a little. They are also painted white...which is a horrible color to paint your plane if you are flying in the frozen antarctic continent. I wouldn't fly my sand colored airplane over the desert, or my lush green plane over the rain forest. You know just in case I'd crash...But then again, that's me.


I'm not sure why the South Africans are down here. To my understanding, NSF or Raytheon did a favor for the South Africans down here, so they owe us favors...and thus we collect. It's legit, I swear! We'll actually I'm not sure, but that's all the info I know for now. I believe the plane they use is contracted to them...but today was my first day with them. I figure that I would post these photo's up and let you all enjoy them. That is all that is going on down here, so enjoy these pics and take it easy.

That's Matt Jones on top of Nod 4, working hard.

No comments: