Saturday, December 20, 2008

Pressure Ridges



Hey y'all. Here is the first official new camera post! So around Scott Base and McMurdo sound is an amazing phenomenon formed from the sea ice and the glacier ice around here. Basically the sea ice and the glacier push against each other and move these large chucks of sea ice and snow/ice up into the air, forming what the call "Pressure Ridges". This is because the glacier is constantly moving and the sea ice is in its way. They grow about a foot taller every month. Due to the fact that the sea ice moves, ice holes open up and penguins/seals often jump out and hang out by these ridges.
This is why Scott base is so much cooler than McMurdo. Scott base always has wildlife chillin' (literally) in front of them on the ridges. When I drive to work at the airfield I will often see 3-4 "land slugs" or seals just basking in the warm antarctic sun. The Kiwi's get to see that out their windows every morning, and all I get to see is volcanic dust and Observation Hill.
The pressure ridges are off limits to Americans usually, but open to the Kiwi's all the time. Damn you American rules and regulations.
So very rarely are there tours of the pressure ridges given to the Americans.
So I couldn't sign up for the tour, because I was working at Station 2...but there were a couple alternate spots on the sign up list...so to make a long story short, someone couldn't make it on the tour so I was allowed to go on the tour. So I got on the bus and headed to Scott Base. The drive was pretty short to the ridges, considering it is basically only at Scott Base like a 10 minute drive. Then we began our walk. We were a small group of 12 people total including our tour guide. I wouldn't really consider this a tour considering that our guide didn't do much. Pretty much he was only there to make sure we walked by the green flagged route. Can't trust those Americans to follow rules.

What was really cool was the little pool created here.





What a desolate place this is....











Artistic Shot of Scott Base.

Helicopter doing a Medi-vac to Willy Field

No comments: