Sunday, December 21, 2008

LDB Balloon Launch


So as I mentioned a while ago, we have a Long Duration Balloon Facility here at McMurdo. Basically they launch large balloons so that they catch the upper atmosphere Polar Vortex. Please refer to the my entry of "Science Sunday" for the description of the Polar Vortex and the reason why the LDB are here on the ice with me. The Balloons grow to be very large, roughly the size of 4 747's, and it reaches a altitude of 100,o00 feet. It can be tracked via the internet, and as soon as I get that link I will post it here. The balloon experiment is run by NASA...so if you have any questions ask Katie Potere. She went to space camp for like 6 years...she basically works to NASA in my mind. So this is a shout out to her...what up Katie!
On a side note, Hey Lundquist remember when we had to fight the Medusa Squadron? Man that was extreme. Extreme to the MaxX!!! Shout out to Chris Lundquist...I think he understands the reference. Anyway, the launch that they have been trying to do for 3 days now, left early. The launch time was suppose to be at 1100 hours but for some reason when I went outside at 1000 hours it was already in the air. Here are some of the photos from the launch. The reason why most of the launches are postponed is because the wind around the airfield where they launch is too strong. The window for this experiment is only 2 weeks or so long, then the polar vortex closes and they can't launch their balloons to that altitude. It is really interesting to see all the science experiments down here. NASA is also testing some moon living structures down here too. I'll see if I can some photo's of that for you guys. This is a short post because, I hear you all have a ton of snow to shovel up there in the Northeast. So I hope that this entry was a nice little break in between shoveling. Anyway enjoy your weekend. Talk to you all later.

No comments: