Friday, July 17, 2009

Open Letter to All

I GOT PQ'd! Finally too. So...This is a copy of the mass email I just made. I am posting this up here so you all can enjoy another teaser....

_________________________________________________________

For those of you just tuning into our program already in progress...Welcome.

So I will be going back to Antarctica. This time I will be going for a little bit longer of a trip. I am going to be doing the Win-Fly deployment. Win-fly is the transition season between Winter and "Summer". So you can think of it as a spring, sort of deployment. The Win-FLy season starts in August and ends in October. Then the "summer" season begins...From October to February, I will stay down there and basically do what I did last year.

So in short, this blog will be once again active and hopefully keep you all informed of my experiences and everything. As per tradition I'll do a FAQ's for you all.

Phil! I am so lost. What kind of job are you doing down in Antarctica again?

I'm going to be a Firefighter. I know it seems crazy. But feel free to review the blog and you'll see what kind of role the firefighters play down in Antarctica. It should be a fun time. So, I'll be doing the same job I did last year basically. Though maybe I'll spice it up a little bit. So stay tuned, this could get interesting...

Are you part of the army or something?

No, This is a civilian contract job through the National Science Foundation/Raytheon Polar Services. I'm not in the military at all. Unless you count the "No Limit" Solider rank that I have held since 1995. Shout out to Matt Chuckran and Greggy Smalls. The only two people who are "lol-ing" to this.

Phil, Why are you going back?

Well, Why not? To be honest, as much fun as it is to work BLS at Action...I might as well go back down to Antarctica again. No offense Action Ambulance. I mean, who knows what will happen and if I'll ever be able to take this vacation from the real world, again? Plus, this whole "recession" thing is kind of making it hard to get hired on a Fire Department. In case this isn't happening in your area of the country, many Fire Departments are letting go of guys due to budget cuts. And if Fire Departments are firing people, then they also are not hiring people. So it seems that now would be the best time to go and get some experience again. Plus, how many people do you know have worked in Antarctica? Hopefully it should make my resumé stick out when I come back and apply to some fire departments.

What's new in this blog?


Okay, Lets see. I have the weather feature perfected (sort of). To the right of this post should be a weather gadget that is from Weather Underground. They are decently accurate. I'm not sure how they get their information, but I've noticed that they have been closer to the weather conditions last year than any other non "USAP" site. Maybe I'll start every post with any new weather developments or something similar if I find this new gadget to be really inaccurate. Also, there will be the usual pictures and maybe even movies, if my bandwidth allows it.

Phil, can you bring me back a penguin?
I don't think I can send EVERYONE a penguin. And, I only a sent penguin, last year, to person who is really special. Don't get discouraged. Stay tuned!!!! I'll have a contest for a penguin or something. (Ooooo electric boogaloo!) Suspense! So that maybe a reason to read the blog...dun dun dun.

What about the polar bears?
Don't worry. I've been hitting the gym since I got back from the ice last time. And I've been listening to Chuck Norris books on tape when I sleep. I think I'm ready. Nay, I was born ready. Also, may I suggest you go to your local library and read about polar bears and the Antarctic environment.

Phil, I have this great product/thing/t shirt, would you take a photo of it by the Antarctica sign?

Absolutely! Send me the item. As long as it isn't illegal, I'd be more than happy to give you a cheesy PR shot. Yea, I am an opportunist. And why not, this is my 3rd time down to the continent...so the continent and I are like BFF's or something.

Wait, this is your 3rd time?
Yes, no joke it is. If you didn't know I came down with my grandfather on a trip my jr year of College. It was on the other side of the continent. Or the Palmer side, if you speak USAP. Pretty neat huh? That visit made me look into working down in Antarctica. So blame my grandfather and namesake for my interest down here.

Phil, What is your mailing address?


Here it is:

Phil McCully, RPSC
McMurdo Station-Firehouse
PSC 469 Box 700
APO AP 96599-1035


I can get mail regularly until November. Then it slows down a little bit. No major mail after January, like letters only. So packages of goodies are awesome. But, even hand written letters would be boss. I'm basically at Summer Camp, so you know what I am talking about. Getting mail is awesome. And you can get a shout out on the blog if I get something from you, no foolin'!

What is the temperature going to be like?


Last year it was around 20 degrees F, to 15 on average. The coldest it got when i was there was around -34 f. So I'll let you know how it goes this time around.

Phil, what will you do when you come back to the Northeast/America?


Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa. I can't think that far in advance. I'm playing everything by ear for now. Let's shoot for February. I don't think I'll do a winter over down there, so don't worry. I have to get my "Real" life together at some point.

Phil, Boxers or Briefs?

How did that question get up here? That has nothing to do with Antarctica at all.

Phil, What is the best way to talk/communicate to you?

Email, Email, Email! Or message me here on the blog. I can call people... if you are really special. But be forewarned; there is a satellite delay. Only a handful of people I talked to last year could be patient enough to have a conversation with me.

Can I share this blog with _____?

Sure. This blog is now search-able, and since this is my second year with the USAP program I am slightly more comfortable with the whole blogging deal. But, this blog is in no way affiliated with the USAP program and the views and opinions that are expressed on this blog are of mine only. I think that is a good disclaimer. So in short, share this with anyone who knows me or wants to learn more about Antarctica.

No comments: