So Yesterday was the last full shift at Station 2. Since Willy Field is meant for the LC-130's and they have completed their mission for this season, they have all left to go to New Zealand today. It is kind of crazy to see everyone closing up the airfield. This morning I had to chase after the dumpsters, because they were on a loader going out of town. It really is organized chaos. Basically all of the structures will be towed to this area and sleep for the winter. That's right, towed...I'm not if you guys noticed it but all of the buildings at the airfield are on skis. Pretty cool, no?
Next year, rumor has it that Willy field will be opened late, so that they can use the ice runway for a majority of the flight traffic. The ice runway is going to be placed basically in between McMurdo and Pegasus Field. They didn't use it this year, but I hear they want to give Pegasus a break next year.
It was sad to take apart the television, and the radios and of course the internet. But at the same point, it really make a powerful statement. The season is basically over, in two days half of our department is leaving. It is really funny to see that the most "gung-ho" and militaristic shift, is also the most burned out. The entire A shift is leaving the 19th, I think it is because that the leadership within that group has sort of taken, what I have been told, a bad direction. Most of the remaining A Shifters are wintering, but those who aren't, can't wait to get off the ice. This is a total 360 from when I came down, when they were all about being here and that their shift was the best at everything. It is also funny to see how that a lot of them want to join B shift, because we know how to treat our people right. But I try not to let the drama affect the way we operate.
So that is about all that is happening here. There was an hour and a half power outage for all of McMurdo the other day...but it really was uneventful. I heard that the Coffee house bar, cooled down really fast and people had to put their jackets on. The weather is defiantly changing fast, it now is windy and mostly around 10 degrees, as a high. Almost every day had double digit negative wind chills. So that is about it. I'm going to go do laundry and start to plan packing up all my stuff for my flight home in like 5 days or so. See you all soon!
Sorry about the lack of photos, my camera is charging...I'll upload some later.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment