So, here I am in Christchurch, New Zealand. Christchurch is the "Gateway to Antarctica", mostly because its the jump off point for most of the Antarctic projects and more importantly "Operation: Deep Freeze", America's project.
So on my last day in Antarctica, I got together with the other firefighters and I turned in my pager and gear. It was a little weird to turn it in for the last time. But after that I had a quick brunch, got more travel funds, and got on Ivan the Terra Bus the last time this season. It was a long ride down to Pegasus. But, I think it helped me enjoy the view one last time.
I was able to sit first class on my last flight out of Antarctica. Luckily one of my Lt's who was leaving as well was able to secure a couple seats for us. I enjoyed the leg room and the seats were wicked comfortable.
After a short 5 hour flight, we landed in Christchurch, sister city to Seattle Washington. KNOWLEDGE...oh and shout out to my brother Nat, who lives there. Unfortunately, because we left a day early...I wasn't staying at the Hotel SO. But I took the bus into downtown and met with some of the crew for drinks.
The next couple of days, I visited the New Zealand Christchurch Fire Department twice. I showed up 10 minutes too late after my trip from the gardens, so I decided to go the morning of my travel day back to the states. It was interesting to see another Fire Department work and see their station. It is strange yet familiar at the same time. I walked into the their reception area and was greeted by one of the staff their. I explained that I was a firefighter from the States and I was wondering if I could buy a T-shirt. She brought me to their supply area and I was able to pick up a shirt. She refused to take any money for it, but I gave her a gift of two free movie tickets that I received by being in the McMurdo Film Festival. She appreciated the gesture and gave me a couple fire patches as well. Unfortunately the crews were out on a call, so I couldn't get a very good tour of the apparatus bay...but I guess that will give me an excuse to go back sometime.
I had breakfast at a nice little café and read the local paper, which was very interesting. Back when I was coming down here it was I'd say 70% about the US presidential election. Now, it was filled with more local news. I returned to the SO and hung around until my shuttle came to bring me to the airport. In case you guys didn't pick up on my major appreciation of New Zealand, let me be very clear. New Zealand is a really wonderful place. Christchurch is supposedly very simliar to England, in terms of charm and character. So if you are a fan of England...this place may be for you. I'm going to stop this entry and make my travel entry now. So talk to you soon!

No comments:
Post a Comment