Thursday, September 25, 2008

Encounter at Farpoint...

Greetings Friends and Family and Coworkers,
This blog will be my official and effective way of communicating with you all as I begin my journey to the Antarctic. And with that we begin...

Background:
This whole ordeal all started actually a couple of months ago, when I found the application after many hours of digging within the Raytheon Website. I took the trip with my grandfather to the Antarctica region several years ago while I was still in college. A very good friend of mine, Chris Lundquist, actually brought this department up to my attention when I returned from said trip. I didn't apply back then because of course I had a million different things on my plate, but recently things have freed up and I'm not tied down as I was before. So When I applied, I figure it would be at least a good experience. I have always wanted to be a full time firefighter/emt, and it is my goal to become one back home in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

So I applied...
I applied and It was a very in depth process. Of course they wanted to know everything I did for the last 10 years of my life, with work and school. After that I didn't hear from Raytheon for a month, I figured that the position was filled, and I started to move on from this dream of becoming a seasonal firefighter in Antarctica. Then on 09/23, I received a email which was followed by a phone call from a Lt. of the Department. He and I did a phone interview, and on 09/24 I was offered the job.

Now what?
Well stay tuned! My departing trip should be on 10/08. I'll keep you all informed as I go through this process. Enjoy

1 comment:

Newbury Huntington III said...

The "Encounter at Farpoint" reference was not lost on me. That is the name of the first episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. For those of you who had lives from 1987-1994, here is a link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094030

Also, you did not really have a life back then, admit it.

One love.